Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Old West

Well, I'm leaving the Barn today . . . heading to Tucson, AZ, for four days.  I'll be presenting at the National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs Conference on the value of utilizing outdoor settings and horses to work with troubled and at-risk kids.  I have spent almost 20 years working with troubled kids in various settings.  I've worked with adjudicated youth in residentithal settings; I've been the director of a wilderness program; and I've developed and worked at outdoor therapeutic programs.  I'm a firm believer in exposing our youth to the natural environment and allowing the process to happen.  I guess I can sum up what I've learned by saying that my work has been focused on providing other kids and families the same opportunities that were afforded me growing up on a farm in a small community in WV.  It works!! 

Anyway, I'm excited to visit the Tucson area.  I've never been to that part of Arizona before.  I have been to Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Sedona - the northern part of Arizona - and it is absolutely gorgeous.  This trip, I'm taking time to visit the OK Corral and a few state parks as well as ghost towns from the Old West.  I'll be sharing photos when I get back.

Space Cowboy is taking care of the horses and the barn till I get back.  I hate leaving, but this is a good opportunity, so I shall take full advantage of it!

Queen has had a wound on her back shoulder for about a week.  She came into heat and while all of our males are gelded, it doesn't completely stop the natural process!  Beamer tried to have his way with Queen and the stud on his shoe punctured her skin which then got infected.  I've been taking care of it each day and it is much better.  It was one of the worst animal wounds I've had to deal with!  I nearly threw up two days in a row!!  However, it has closed over now and is well on the way to better.  The self-healing abilities of the horses just absolutely amaze me.  They truly are magnificent animals!

So, you may be asking why Beamer has studs on his shoes . . . it's so he can pull our sleigh!  People are loving that service and it is truly beautiful.  Visit our Facebook page and you can see photos of the sleigh and Space Cowboy at work.  We are Timberline Stables on Facebook.

OK - off to Tucson . . . See ya 'round the barn!

No comments:

Post a Comment