Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Beauty of Manure

Today, my friend Jenn came to help clean the stalls after the horses were fed and released to the field.  Jenn is a relatively new friend, and I'm really grateful that she has entered my life.  She is going through some tough personal times right now, and today she finally understood the value of manure scooping!  It is amazing how quickly things come into perspective while one is scraping horse poop from a stall! It takes you to the most basic levels of life.

I've spent a great deal of time learning how to stay in the moment, rather than becoming overwhelmed by the chaos that is our daily life.  As another good friend of mine says,  "you have to chunk it down and do one thing at a time!!"  Yes, she says that with a lot of emotion, so it requires two exclamation points.  Life can be very overwhelming and more often than not, we can get lost in all that we have to do to the point that nothing gets done.  I've fallen into that trap more than I care to admit.  However, when I walk into the barn and see the piles of pooh in the stalls, I become very focused on the job at hand - cleaning one stall at a time until all are done and the barn is in order once again.

It is a great metaphor for life - we must focus on one task at a time; do it with integrity; and then move on to the next task and repeat the process.  This is really the only way to move forward and make progress, regardless of the big picture goal.  We must stay focused on each short term goal until it is reached and surpassed.  That is the only road to success.

Once scoop at a time will lead to a clean stall which will lead to a clean barn.

See ya round the "clean" barn . . . . .

1 comment:

  1. As a cowgirl poet you are the best! I think the "Barn" is a great metaphor for life. I know when I visited with you, getting to shovel the manure was like a treat! So getting it done one stall at a time is a great way to approach life. Ive been living with my hair on fire way too long, and what's worse, I havent really accomplished what I set out to do!

    ReplyDelete